I love an easy weeknight meal that comes together with ingredients from my own kitchen. I have a dream that one day I'll menu plan so grocery shopping is more productive and meal-time less stressful, but for now, I'll just take it when I can create a healthy and satisfying meal from my items I already have.
Fajitas are easy and can be personalized to any taste. I keep mine simple with lettuce, tomato, cheese and chicken, but feel free to add additional toppings. T, for example, added artichokes, olives and hot sauce. I'm trying not to judge.
These are also fun to serve at a casual party and have the toppings in separate bowls and let your guests put them together. Enjoy!
- 1 pound ground chicken (turkey or beef would work too)
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 package of fajita seasoning (stay tuned for an at-home version to make)
- 1/4 cup water
- lettuce, shredded
- cheese, shredded
- tomatoes, diced
- sour cream and salsa
- tortillas (once I get a cast iron skillet, I'm going to make these tortillas)
- Brown ground chicken until no longer pink and drain off any excess liquid
- Add diced onion, seasoning and water and simmer for a few minutes
- Warm tortillas in the oven
- Add chicken to tortilla and add preferred toppings, such as lettuce, tomato, cheese, sour cream and salsa
- Wrap tortilla pulling bottom up (perpendicular to line of toppings), then fold in sides to create a leak-free fajita
- Serve with a fork -- in case the leak-free fajita, well, leaks