June 28, 2010

Stuffed Peppers



I tend to over-buy vegetables. I get overly ambitious about the things I'm going to make, and it's not uncommon to have casualties in my fridge; poor vegetables that have been ignored and unused. 


So last week when I was at the farmer's market, and I came home with four peppers (which would be keeping the two peppers I already had in the fridge, company), T told me that I needed to use them asap. 


A quick search of my freezer, fridge and cupboards showed that I had all the ingredients of stuffed peppers -- a family fave. I defrosted some beef I purchased for lasagna, grabbed a can of tomatoes, dug up some rice and got set to cook!


These stuffed peppers are a meal in themselves -- a giant pepper stuffed with meat, tomatoes and rice. I am often perplexed about what to serve as a side with them because they simply don't need anything else, but they look lost on the plate. I'm open to suggestions! In the meantime, enjoy the peppers.




Ingredients
  • 1 lb. ground beef (or chicken or turkey)
  • 1 28 oz can of tomatoes (diced, stewed, whole, whatever)
  • 1/2 cup rice
  • 1 onion, diced
  • 1 tsp chili powder
  • 1 tsp garlic
  • 1 tbsp butter
  • four peppers, tops cut off and insides scooped out
  • 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
Directions

In a pan, melt the butter and sautee the onion and garlic.

Add the ground meat and cook until no longer pink.


Drain off fat.


Add can of tomatoes, rice and chili powder. Simmer for about 25 minutes until rice is cooked.


While cooking, prepare peppers by cutting tops off and scooping out insides.


Let meat mixture cool slightly, then stuff peppers, right to top.


Cook at 325 degrees, covered with foil, for 90 minutes, or until peppers are soft.


Uncover and sprinkle with cheese and broil for 5 more minutes until cheese is bubbly.


Serve with a dollop of sour cream.




Print recipe for Stuffed Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics