June 23, 2010

Creamy Asparagus Soup


I picked up some fresh Ontario asparagus from a farmer's market last week and I've been hunting for a unique recipe to try. I stumbled upon this recipe for asparagus soup which intrigued me, but it was the curry powder that made me really want to try it.

As you may have noticed from my recipes, I am not a heavy spice user. In fact, the food I usually make has very subtle flavours, nothing bold. But, I'm working to come out of that spice shell so I gave this a try. 

It was quick and easy and the curry powder definitely gave it a kick. My husband liked it so much he ate half of it before I could even take this picture. 

We ate it hot, but this would also be nice served cold in shot glasses as a refreshing summer appetizer. Unexpected but refreshing. Enjoy.

Ingredients
  • 1 pound asparagus, stalks sliced into 1 inch pieces, tips reserved
  • 2 cups chicken broth
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 tbsp butter
  • 2 tbsp flour
  • 1/2 cup cream
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/8 tsp pepper


Directions

In a small saucepan, bring the asparagus stalks and 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of water, to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and let simmer for about 10 minutes, or until tender. Let cool slightly and blend until smooth in a blender.

In a larger saucepan, melt the butter over low heat and whisk in the flour to create a roux. Whisk continuously for about three mintes.

Add the chicken broth while whisking and bring to a boil.

Add milk and cream, whisk and let simmer for another three minutes.

Add the blended asparagus, curry powder, salt and pepper and reserved asparagus tips.

Bring to a boil then lower heat to a simmer for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. 




Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics