This is the new Egg McMuffin.
These met all the criteria for a weekday breakfast:
- easy to prepare (even better to make the night before and just microwave in the a.m.)
- healthy -- loaded with veggies and protein
- good for on-the-go
I made this frittata mixture and simply put them in (note: well greased) muffin tins. You could add any combination of veggies that you like and any kind of cheese to dress them up -- or down -- as you like.
Next time I'm going to experiment with a strata recipe, which I think will make these a little denser (the difference, as far as I can tell, is that in a strata there is bread). These would also be great as mini-muffins as a nice brunch appetizer. Stay tuned for more variations of this one!
- 6 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (if you use skim, mix some 5 or 10% cream with it so it's not too runny)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup zucchini, diced
- 1/2 cup yellow pepper, diced
- 1/3 cup diced tomatoes
Heat oven to 350 degrees.
Beat eggs, milk, salt and pepper until blended.
Add cheese and veggies, mix well.
Ladle into well greased muffin cups. About 1/4 cup each -- makes 10 to 12.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, until just set.
Cook on rack for about 5 minutes, but as soon as they come out of the oven, run a paring knife around the edges (this will not only help get them out, it will make clean up a breeze).