June 18, 2010

Strawberry Rhubarb Pie



Rhubarb season is almost over so I wanted to try one of my favourites -- strawberry rhubarb pie. Once I overcame my fear of pie crust, making an actual pie was easy.

This was my first attempt at pie so it wouldn't have won any awards for appearance, but it certainly made up for that in taste. It was the perfect blend of tart rhubarb and sweet strawberries and it certainly didn't last long in our house! I speak from experience when I say there is nothing wrong with pie for breakfast...

I now have big plans for peach pie, apple pie, pumpkin pie, pecan pie... the possibilities are endless!

Ingredients

  • 1 1/2 cups strawberries, cleaned and cut
  • 2 1/2 cups rhubarb, chopped
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 5 tbsp flour
  • 2 pastry crusts
Directions

In a 9" pie plate, insert/drape a rolled out pie crust. Cut off excess dough.

In a separate bowl, mix strawberries, rhubarb, sugar and flour. Stir until well combined.

Pour fruit mixture into bottom pie crust.

Moisten edges of bottom pie crust with water (using your fingers is fine), and drape over second pie crust on top. Using your first finger and thumb, pinch together bottom and top crusts. Cut off excess dough.

Using a paring knife, mark slits in top of pie crust, which is both decorative and functional.

Bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes, then turn oven down to 350 degrees and bake for another 40-45 minutes.

For a fruit pie with lots of liquid, like strawberry-rhubarb, when you take it out of the oven, the liquid will be really thin, so you need to let it cool for three to four hours before serving so the mixture thickens up (hence the flour).

After a few hours of cooling, I put my pie back in the oven on the warm setting is it was warm when we ate it and it was delicious.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics