January 12, 2011

Roasted Squash, Sweet Potato, Onion and Garlic Soup


Toronto was hit with a snowstorm this weekend so I was thrilled to have nothing to do but cook in my pyjamas and watch marathons of reality TV. And this soup was definitely on my to-do list! I love roasted vegetable -- how you can easily change a crisp, fresh veggie into one with a deep, rich, caramelized flavour.

This recipe involved roasted four kinds of vegetables: squash, sweet potato, shallots and garlic. Then, simply adding some stock and cream and calling it a day. How much easier can it get? 

Because of the snow, neither T or I wanted to go out to get a breadstick (our usual accompaniment to a good soup), so I think during our next snowstorm, I am going to have to learn how to make bread!

Roasted Squash, Sweet Potato, Onion and Garlic Soup
Serves 6-8

Ingredients
  • 1 medium sweet potato (about 350 g)
  • 1 acorn squash
  • 4 shallots
  • 5-6 cloves of garlic, unpeeled
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 4 cups chicken/vegetable stock
  • 1/2 cup light cream
  • salt and pepper
  • snipped chives, to garnish
Directions
  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees F
  • Cut the sweet potato, squash and shallots in half, lengthwise, through the stem to the end. Scoop the seeds out of the squash. Brush the cut sides with oil. Put the vegetables cut-side down on a baking sheet. Add the garlic cloves, brushed with oil, too. Roast for about 40-45 minutes, until tender and light brown.
  • When cool, scoop the flesh from the potato and squash halves and peel the garlic. Put in a pot with the shallots.
  • Add the stock and a pinch of salt. Bring just to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables are very tender.
  • Blend (either using a blender or an immersion blender) until smooth. 
  • Stir in the cream and let warm through. Stir in the salt and pepper. 
  • Serve in bowls with snipped chives.
Recipe from Easy Soups by Parragon Books (can't seem to find it anywhere online)


19 comments:

  1. How comfy cozy does this look? OMG I wish Icould have a bowl for lunch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a delicious looking soup.. lovely infusion of colours... thanks for stopping by at my blog.. wishing you a great year ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes this looks so comforting and very irresistable:) yum!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keep warm! And yes, try bread next time. I like making pitas myself, they're so easy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love squash and sweet potatoes so this sounds wonderful to me! I like that there are shallots in this too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The soup looks delicious and tempting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Uh, YUMM!! I'm definitely trying this! Great pic of it too!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's so pretty! It looks perfect for a snow day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, this looks wonderful! Perfect comfort food on a snow day. Roasted vegetables add such a nice layer of flavor to soups. You have a lovely blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yum, yum. Sweet potatoes and squash are two of my favorite winter vegetables. We're having soup weather here too, but nothing like what you are getting.

    ReplyDelete
  11. yum yum soup! we got so much snow where I live (ugh, miserable) and all I want is warm comforing foods. This looks delicious!

    Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. This has essentially all of my favorite veggies in it! I would love to curl up with it on a snow day.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your soup looks really good; we are in a deep freeze up in nothern Ontario. Thank you for your visit. You have a nice blog; love to find another Canadian blogger.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can imagine how delicious this must taste. The roasted vegetables take it over the top and make it special. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a delicious looking soup! It's definitely soup weather these days!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Roasted veggies make for the BEST soups. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yummy--what a wonderful cold day soup!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics