There are two rules I have about cheesecake:
- You need to have at least 10 hungry adults to make making this worthwhile.
- You should always make a cheesecake that has a topping to hide any unsightly cracks and, more importantly, to help you not care about any unsightly cracks.
For us, we were hosting Christmas Eve (11 adults, check). And this cheesecake was covered with a thick layer of whipped cream (check). And, on another plus side, cheesecakes need a lot of time to chill (usually overnight), so a make-ahead dessert was a bonus.
Made in a springform pan, this one is visually impressive too with the three layers, but it's super rich and decadent so don't cut those pieces too big!
Chocolate Cappuccino Cheesecake
- 2 cups chocolate cookie crumbs
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 4 tbsp white sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
Cream Cheese Layer
- 3 (8 oz) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup white sugar
- 3 eggs, room temp
- 8 (1 oz) squares semisweet chocolate
- 2 tbsp whipping cream, room temp
- 1 cup sour cream, room temp
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsps instant coffee granules dissolved into 1/4 hot water
- 1/4 cup coffee flavoured liqueur
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp confectioners' sugar
- 2 tbsp coffee flavoured liqueur
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter one 9 or 10" springform pan.
- Combine the cookie crumbs, melted butter, white sugar and cinnamon. Mix well and press mixture into springform pan. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, beat softened cream cheese until smooth. Gradually add 1 cup white sugar, mixing until blended. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat on low speed until very smooth.
- Melt the 8 ounces of semisweet chocolate with two tablespoons of whipping cream in a pan or bowl over boiling water, stir until smooth.
- Add the chocolate mixture to the cream cheese mixture and blend well. Stir in sour cream, salt, coffee, coffee liqueur and vanilla and beat until smooth. Pour into prepared pan over crust.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for 45-50 minutes. Turn off oven and leave cake in oven with the door ajar for another 45 minutes.
- Chill cake for at least 12 hours.
- Combine whipping cream, confectioners' sugar and coffee liqueur and beat until soft peaks form. Spread whipping cream layer over top of cheesecake prior to serving.
- Garnish with chocolate shavings if desired.
Recipe adapted from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Chocolate-Cappuccino-Cheesecake/Detail.aspx