I have been craving sweets a lot lately. But I have been resisting the urge to make things because for two people, it's just so much quantity to make a cake or a batch of cookies. But now that I have found these lovelies, I am really in trouble. This was a marriage of two recipes: one from Martha and one from Donna Hay, two kitchen geniuses so it was bound to be delicious. (Does that make me a super-genius for this recipe?)
Warm, sweet, easy and pretty. It doesn't get any better than this!
Crunchy Baked Apple Stacks
- 2 red apples, cored and thickly sliced
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- Preheat oven to 355 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, mix together oats, sugar, butter, cinnamon and vanilla.
- Place the bottom slice of each apple on the tray and top each slice with a spoonful of the oat mixture. Repeat with remaining oat mixture and apple slices.
- Bake stacks for 25-30 minutes or until apple is just soft.
- Serve with whipped or ice cream, if desired.
Recipe adapted from Donna Hay, No Time to Cook and Martha Stewart, The New Classics