My girlfriend Lindsey and I had plans to go skating recently so before we headed out into the deep freeze, I thought soup would be the perfect meal to keep us warm!
I had been wanting to try this soup for awhile. I usually gravitate towards rich, creamy soups, but this one, even though was broth based, seemed full of so many delicious, healthy ingredients, that I thought would be a great change. Boy was I right. Every bite had something different -- pasta, veggie, beans, cheese. And what I love is that you could change anything about the recipe to tailor to your own tastes.
Italian Sausage Soup
- 1 pound Italian sausage (you may want to mix mild and hot for more flavour)
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 can (28 oz) stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 can (14 oz) white kidney beans, rinsed
- 2 small zucchinis, diced
- 1 cup bowtie pasta
- 2 cups spinach, torn
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Cut the sausage out of the casing and break it into small pieces. Cook in a frying pan until browned.
- In a stockpot, melt the butter and brown the onion and garlic until soft. Add broth, tomatoes, carrots and sausage. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in beans and pasta. Cover and simmer another 10 minutes, then add zucchini and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add spinach. Replace lid, allowing heat from the soup to cook the spinach leaves, for about five minutes.
- Serve with grated cheese on top.
Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com