Grilled cheese and tomato soup is one of my favourite comfort foods. It's the perfect antidote to a cold and rainy day. I saw Martha Stewart on Oprah the other day and she said the "next big thing" is going to be the grilled cheese bar at parties, so I thought I would step up my grilled cheese from the regular white bread with a Kraft single, so something a little more grown up.
The apple in this made it a perfect complement to the cream of cauliflower soup I made last week.
- 2 slices of rye bread
- 2 tbsp butter
- 8 slices mozzarella cheese (I cut it from a brick, so use your judgement on how much cheese this is!)
- 6 thin slices from a honeycrisp apple
- Slather one side of each piece of bread with butter
- Lay the bottom layer down in a frying pan on low heat, butter side down
- Place half the cheese down on the bread in a single layer
- Top with a layer of apple
- Top with the remaining cheese and then the second piece of bread with the butter side up
- Cook on medium-low for about five minutes
- Flip and cook on the second side for about 3 minutes
** I found it easiest to flip the sandwich with tongs, which helped keep the sandwich together