October 4, 2010

Chicken with Balsamic Vinegar, Garlic and Mushrooms



It's easy to gravitate towards the same, simple chicken dish week after week. For me, it's my chicken parmesan which I now have down to a fine science. But I am always looking for something new and different to challenge myself in the kitchen and to serve guests. 

A while ago, I found this recipe online and the first thing I loved about it was that I had all the ingredients on hand (the number one reason I make a recipe!). I was serving this for company, so I liked that it was something that I could mostly make ahead and with the exception of thickening the sauce near the end, it was a dish I could put in the over and still spend time with my guests. The balsamic vinegar thickened nicely and created a really nice "gravy" type sauce, presentation-wise it looked great and it tasted good, too! 

What chicken recipes do you gravitate towards?

Ingredients
  • 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
  • 3/4 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tbsp all purpose flour
  • 2 tbsp olive oil
  • 6 cloves garlic
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 3/4 cup chicken broth
  • 1 bay leaf
  • 1/4 tsp dried thyme


Directions
  • Heat oil in a skillet over medium high heat and saute chicken until it is nicely browned on both sides
  • Remove the chicken and put in a single layer in an oven-safe dish
  • In the skillet, add the mushrooms and cook for a few minutes. Add the vinegar, broth, bay leaf, garlic and thyme. 
  • Pour over chicken and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes
  • Transfer chicken to a warm serving platter and cover with foil.
  • On an element, simmer the sauce over medium high heat, slowly adding flour and whisking slowly until sauce begins to thicken.
  • Discard the bay leaf and pour mushroom sauce over chicken and serve

Recipe adapted from www.allrecipes.com 

2 comments:

  1. This looks yummy! It's going on my menu for next week.

    The chicken dish we gravitate toward is Bruschetta Chicken http://smittenwithmykitchen.blogspot.com/2009/04/bruschetta-chicken.html

    It's so easy and impressive enough for company.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just happened upon your blog and I like what I see. I notice we have similar tastes in cooking so consider yourself 'followed'. :)

    This dish is right up my alley. I'm a HUGE balsamic fan and I'm always on the lookout for new and interesting ways to cook with chicken.
    We're more of a boneless chicken thigh kind of family so I think I'll try using that cut of chicken and see how it goes. :)

    The Baking Bookworm

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics