I was recently given a gift certificate for Indigo and I knew exactly what I wanted to buy -- a cookbook by Ina Garten, the Barefoot Contessa. For years, I have enjoyed watching her on the Food Network for her simple, classic recipes and she always just looks so happy cooking! Though I guess if I had her kitchen in the Hamptons, I might too!
Anyway, so I just got two of her books in the mail and they are beautiful. Nice glossy pages with beautiful photos and I was immediately inspired to make three dishes of hers and they were all easy and full of flavour.
The first I made was the summer garden pasta. Angel hair pasta topped with a simple mixture of cherry tomatoes, olive oil, fresh basil and garlic. You had to marinade the sauce for a few hours before so all the flavours infused together and it smelled like nothing else. I couldn't wait to eat this one!
Adapted from The Barefoot Contessa at Home
- fresh angel hair pasta (make your own using this recipe)
- 2 pints cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 cloves freshly minced garlic
- 10 leaves fresh basil, chiffonaded
- 1 cup grated fresh parmesan
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine cherry tomatoes, olive oil, garlic, basil and salt and pepper. Toss and let sit for about four hours.
- Bring large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta. Drain.
- Put tomato mixure in a large pan and warm. Add in pasta and toss, fully coating pasta. Add parmesan and stir, letting it melt throughout.
- Serve warm with more parmesan and basil for presentation.