August 15, 2010

Mixed Berry Muffins


It's berry season here in Ontario and I had an absolute abundance of berries on hand when I decided to make these. I laughed when I looked at these half way through cooking because the recipe told me "these muffins hide a sweet surprise" -- but the surprise of the berries were bursting all over my muffin tin. I actually think they looked better than if they were just a plain looking muffin. 

I will note that the "muffin" was pretty dense though -- more like a shortcake or even a scone. These would work really well as a summer dessert too -- add some fresh whipped cream and some extra berries on the plate and you're done!

Ingredients

For the filling:
  • 2 1/2 cups mixed berries (I used blackberries, strawberries and raspberries)
  • 3 tbsp sugar
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 1/4 tsp lemon zest

For the muffins:
  • 3 cups self-rising flour
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • pinch of salt
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 cup  butter, melted
  • 1 1/4 cups milk
  • 1 egg

Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
  • Combine all the filling ingredients in a small saucepan. Gently bring to a simmer and cook for five minutes until the berries give some of their juices. Set aside.
  • For the muffins, combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Combine the butter, milk and egg in a small bowl. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
  • In a 12 tin muffin pan, use half the batter and spoon into each cup. Then spoon a layer of the filling and the add the remaining batter.
  • Bake for 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics