August 23, 2010

Salmon Cakes


We grocery shop on Thursdays so by Wednesday, we're pretty much out of food. I'm desperate to learn how to menu plan (any tips out there?), but I'm thrilled if I can scrounge something up for dinner on Wednesday.


Enter: salmon cakes.


My dad makes these and they're simple to make and use ingredients that I always have on hand. I was able to whip these up and still have something healthy for dinner.




Ingredients

  • 1 potato (fairly large or two small)
  • 1 tin of salmon, drained well and cleaned
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 green onions, chopped
  • 1 tsp Dijon mustard
  • 7-8 shakes of Worcestershire sauce
  • 3 tbsp bread crumbs
  • 1 egg
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  • Boil potato while cleaning the salmon and sauteing the onion and green onions
  • Lightly mash the potato and add it to the salmon and sauted onion and green onions in a bowl
  • Add egg and all other ingredients
  • Mix ingredients and divide the mixture into six
  • Shape into six patties and place them on a plate
  • Cover and chill in fridge for 30 minutes
  • In a skillet containing melted butter, sear the four patties for three or four minutes on each side, until lightly browned
  • Put the patties on a cookie sheet and place in oven and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes
  • Serve with lemon wedge or roasted garlic mayonnaise

1 comment:

  1. Those look great!

    I menuplan like the organized freak of nature I am. I usually sit down when I get my grocery ads, look them over, and let the sales (and my cravings) dictate my meal planning. If lacking inspiration, I find a couple recipes I want to try and check out how many portions they'll yield. I then write out every day of the week and decide what I'll have for breakfast, lunch and dinner, leaving a couple days blank for leftovers, dinners out or spontaneous plans. I like to make meals that freeze well (like chili, stews and soups) and keep pre-cooked meats on hand (sausage, shredded roasted chicken) for last-minute dinners. It usually pans out. Menu planning helps me keep everything in balance too - might have an indulgent night one night and then fish the next. I used to live with a partner who could sometimes consume three portions if he especially liked the meal, so sometimes this gets tricky, but it usually works out for me. And then I keep some non-perishable staples on hand, too, like canned beans and tuna.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics