One of my favourite restaurants in Toronto is Salad King. They make the most delicious mango chicken that is sweet with a mango sauce full of chunks of mango and red and green peppers and served with a steaming side of rice. Due to a problem in the building, Salad King has been closed for months and I have been craving this delicious meal so to satisfy my craving, I turned to Google. I think mango chicken as I know it must be a Salad King original but I found a decent recipe on www.allrecipes.com.
This dish was more of a curry (and for those of you who don't know me well, spice and I are not super close), but since I was making it I could monitor the amount of spice I put in. This was also the first time I had cooked with coconut milk and I really liked how it added a light thickness to the meal. And, with the exception of the coconut milk, I had everything else on hand.
Overall, not exactly what I set out to make, but still a really good dish that I will certainly try again.
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, julienned
- 1 medium green pepper, julienned
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, cut into strips
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 2 tsp minced fresh ginger
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup chopped, peeled mango
- 3/4 cup coconut milk (I used lite)
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- hot cooked rice
- In a large skillet, saute onion and red and green pepper in oil for 2-4 minutes or until crisp tender
- Add the chicken, curry, ginger, garlic, salt and cayenne. Cook and stir for 5 minutes
- Stir in the coconut mil and tomato paste. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add mango and simmer for a couple more minutes.
- Serve over hot rice.
Recipe from www.allrecipes.com