Another rich and decadent pasta dish, fitting for a Sunday night meal but easy enough for a weeknight. The main ingredients are of course the shrimp and mushrooms, but once they were tossed with the cheese sauce, I felt the need to add some colour back in, so I added some cooked broccoli in. Just another example of how adaptable these dishes are to your personal taste.
Shrimp and Mushroom Linguini in an Herbed Cheese Sauce
- 1 (8 oz) package linguini pasta (or fresh pasta)
- 2 tbsp butter
- 1/2 pound fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (3 oz) package cream cheese
- 2 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- 3/4 tsp dried basil
- 2/3 cup milk, warmed
- 1/2 pound shrimp, cooked (preferably in white wine and garlic)
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add linguini and cook until tender. Drain.
- Meanwhile, heat 2 tbsp butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, cook and stir until tender. Transfer to a plate.
- In the same pan, melt 1/4 cup butter with minced garlic. Stir in the cream cheese, breaking it up with a spoon as it melts. Stir in the parsley and basil. Simmer for five minutes. Mix in milk until sauce is smooth.
- Stir in cooked shrimp and mushrooms and heat through.
- Toss linguini with sauce and serve.