November 24, 2010

Savoury Stuffed Acorn Squash


As soon as I saw this featured in a holiday spread in House and Home magazine, I knew I wanted to make it. I had never cooked with acorn squash before but I do love squash, and the "stuffing" sounded delicious with the apple and pecans. But mostly, I loved the presentation. Imagine serving this as a first course to your dinner guests? So unexpected.

Another great thing is that this is a make ahead -- always a must for me when entertaining. There is some last minute assembly and broiling of the cheese, but overall an easy and impressive dish that will certainly grace the table of my next get together.

Savoury Stuffed Acorn Squash
Serves 12

Ingredients
  • 6 small acorn squash
  • 1/4 cup butter, plus two tbsp 
  • 1/4 cup brown sugar
  • 6 shallots, chopped
  • 3 McIntosh apples, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1/4 cup chopped pecans
  • 2 tsp crumbled dried sage
  • 1/2 cup bread crumbs
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella


Directions

  • Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line two cookie sheets with foil. Cut squash in half lengthwise, from stem to tip, and scoop out seeds. Pat with 1/4 cup of butter and sprinkle brown sugar over the inside of each. Roast, flat side up, for 40-50 minutes.
  • Meanwhile, in a small frying pan, melt 2 tbsp butter over medium heat. Saute shallots, apple, celery, pecans and sage until apples and celery are soft. Stir in bread crumbs and salt and pepper.
  • Remove cooked squash from oven. Stuff with apple mixture. Top with mozzarella and put back in oven and broil until cheese browns. (these can be made ahead, but top with cheese prior to serving)
Recipe adapted from November 2010 issues of House and Home magazine

3 comments:

  1. I could jump onto the page and eat that squash. I like make ahead dishes for entertaining too! I'm having another dinner this weekend. i think I'll make this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This recipe sounds so good! I just love acorn squash but have never figured out anything to do with it besides roasting it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've recently just discovered stuffed squash and am so glad I did! There are so many yummy things you can stuff in a squash! Thanks for sharing your ideas!
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics