Brunch is a really challenging meal to host because so many things you serve have to be done at the very last minute -- eggs, pancakes, french toast.
I was hosting a small brunch party today and went in search of something I could prepare in advance and leave to bake while I was entertaining. Enter the brunch strata.
Strata is like a breakfast casserole. It's wholesome and hearty, healthy and delicious. And you can prepare it in advance and watch it bake while you're enjoying a mimosa. What could be better?
Here's the recipe I used this morning and it was a hit!
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 1 cup diced onion
- 1 cup chopped red pepper
- 1 cup bacon/ham/sausage -- whatever you have on hand
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1 pkg cream cheese (softened)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 cups day-old cubed bread
- 6 eggs
- Cube bread about the size of large croutons and leave out overnight
- Prepare veggies
- Cook the meat, drain and set aside
- Sautee veggies in oil and garlic, drain and set aside
- In a mixer, combine cream cheese with cream until smooth
- Add eggs and mix
- Add bread crumbs, veggies, meat and cheddar cheese and mix
- Pour into greased 11 x 7 pan
- Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about an hour
- Let cool for about 10 minutes
(this is it baked, but I couldn't take a picture before the vultures got at it!)