I think I'm on a citrus kick. Last week, key lime pie. This week, lemon bars.
These were pretty simple to make and a nice light sweet after another delicious strata for a family brunch this morning.
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cold butter
- 1/4 cup sugar
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- rind of one lemon, grated
- juice of one lemon, about 3 tbsp
- 2 eggs beaten
- 2 tbsp icing sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees and ensure you have a 9x9 pan (trust me)
- cut butter into cubes and using a pastry kneader, cut it into the flour and sugar. You want this to be about the consistency of cornmeal
- Press this into an ungreased pan and bake at 325 degrees for 20 minutes
- While the crust is baking, prepare the custard by mixing all the ingredients together
- Pour over crust and bake for another 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees now -- make sure it doesn't brown
- Once fully cooled, sift icing sugar over
I baked this in a 9x13 pan (I one-and-a-halfed the recipe) and it was so delicious that between six of us, we polished off the whole pan at lunch! So quick that I didn't even get a pic of it cut, but trust me, they were great!