Peach season is almost over here in Ontario, so I thought I would take one last kick at a peach dessert. As soon as I found this recipe, I made some dulce de leche so I could try this one out. The flavour of the tart was amazing, but my peaches were so juicy that the presentation was lacking -- a lot. While it is much easier to blanch the peaches, I highly recommend peeling them with a potato peeler. This will keep your peaches in tact, but you may also want to let them sit in a colander for awhile to get rid of the extra juices. There is no thickener in the filling, so no matter how long you leave it, it will not firm up -- trust me.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp dark brown sugar
- 1/4 cup dulce de leche
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla
- Pinch of salt
- 5-6 large ripe peaches, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 tbsp dulce de leche
- 1 tbsp sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- To make the crust: Cream butter and sugar for a minute or two until well mixed, but still stiff.
- Sift together flour, salt, cinnamon and baking powder. Add to the butter mixture and briefly mix with your hands until crumbly and moist enough to hold together when pressed.
- Press into an 8 or 9 inch tart pan, making sure all sides are even and strong.
- Bake for about 10 minutes or just until the sides of the crust start to brown. Remove and let cool.
- To make the filling: In a mixer or food processor add the butter, brown sugar, dulce de leche, egg yolk, vanilla and salt. Mix until light colored and smooth.
- Spread the filling into the crust.
- Put the peach slices in a colander to drain excess juices for a minute or two. (Trust me on this, you don't want super juicy peaches or the tart will be runny)
- Place the peach slices on top of the tart, overlapping each other so that they are very close together. Make circles of peach slices until the entire tart is covered.
- Brush 2 tbsp of dulce de leche evenly over the peaches. Sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes or until peaches are caramel colored and the tart is heated through. Remove and let cool.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
Adapted from Back to the Cutting Board