November 8, 2009

Squash Soup with Bacon and Asiago Crumpets


On Sundays I feel that we should be having a full "Sunday night" dinner. But even though I took out a roast out of the freezer yesterday, it still wasn't defrosted in time to make dinner tonight, so we came up with Plan B: Butternut Squash Soup and Bacon and Asiago Crumpets.

Butternut Squash Soup
I didn't have a recipe so I used my basic Leek and Potato recipe and modified it slightly. Here's what I did:

  1. Cut one medium butternut squash down the middle and roasted in the oven for one hour.
  2. Melted two teaspoons of butter in a large pot and added one diced onion. Let cook for five minutes.
  3. Add two diced up potatoes and one and a half cartons of chicken stock. Let boil until potatoes cook.
  4. Cut up squash and add to the soup. 
  5. Puree with immersion blender.
  6. Add 1/2 cup of cream and 1/2 cup of white wine. 
  7. Add salt, pepper and splash of nutmeg.
  8. Serve in bowls and add a dollop of sour cream.
Overall, a pretty basic recipe and it turned out pretty well. I think this will be a winter favourite.

Bacon and Asiago Crumpets
These were delish! I got this recipe from the Mildred Pierce Restaurant brunch cookbook. They were good and pretty easy to make, but I certainly don't need 12 of them. My husband, T, really liked these though and maybe they won't be around that long.
They had a nice flavour and had a bit of a bite to them with the asiago cheese and the scallions. I think they might be nice in the toaster too for enjoyment throughout the week.

Lessons learned:
  • I can make soup without a recipe
  • If a recipe calls for crumpet rings, if you don't mind a messy border, you don't need them
  • Hillebrand Riesling is our new favourite wine and it went really well with the mild soup


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics