March 23, 2011

Sweet Potato Burritos



We have all been told to never judge a book by its cover. Well, I'm learning to not judge a recipe by its title. 


As a newish cook, I still find it difficult to read through a recipe and have a really good sense of what it's going to taste like. So when I saw the title, Addictive Sweet Potato Burritos, I wasn't sold. I couldn't get my mind to understand what the combination of sweet potatoes and beans (and mustard?!) would be like, but how could 1,218 people who gave it 4.5 stars on www.allrecipes.com, be wrong? Well, they weren't.


In just three short weeks, we've made this three times. It is so good, I can't even begin to explain it. The sweet potato doesn't have a very powerful flavour and while it adds more than just being a filler, it doesn't compete with the beans. And the best part is that this dish is screaming healthy. I mean, sweet potatoes and beans and spice? If I didn't douse these in sour cream, we'd be looking at a serious health food here. 


So now you have it. Sweet potatoes and beans = a match made in heaven. 


Sweet Potato Burritos
Makes 12 large burritos
Printable Recipe


Ingredients

  • 1 tbsp butter
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 2 cans black beans, drained
  • 1 can kidney beans, drained
  • 2 cups water
  • 3 tbsp chili powder
  • 2 tsp ground cumin
  • 4 tsp prepared mustard
  • 1 pinch cayenne pepper
  • 3 tbsp soy sauce
  • 4 cups sweet potatoes, cooked and mashed (boiled or roasted)
  • 12 10" flour tortillas
  • 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese



Directions

  • Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  • In a large bowl, combine the black beans and kidney beans and roughly mash.
  • Heat butter in a medium saucepan and saute onion and garlic until soft. Stir in beans and gradually stir in water -- you want them to be thick still and not too runny so you might not need as much as 2 cups of water.
  • Remove bean mixture from heat and stir in chili powder, cumin, mustard, cayenne pepper and soy sauce.
  • Warm stack of tortillas in the microwave for 45 seconds to make pliable.
  • Divide bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes evenly between tortillas. Top with cheese and roll tortilla and place seam side down in a baking pan. 
  • Bake for 12-15 minutes until slightly browned.
  • Serve with salsa and sour cream.


11 comments:

  1. Lindsay, you make these sound so good that I have to try them! Healthy and tasty- what a wonderful combination.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! You definitely sold these and make these sound delicious. I can't wait to try them and added bonus that they're healthy! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. it seems like a southern meets mexican dish.
    very interesting, and sounds... oddly delicious,
    but hey, if you say it good then its def. worth a try.

    the recipe seems pretty easy! so i shall give it a go as well

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never made burritos and you are really tempting with your recipe; love sweet potatoes.
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really can't wait to try these. I am totally sold by your description. YUM! Also, as a side note, I have recently discovered a LOVE nonfat Greek yogurt just as much as sour cream on top of things like this. Really. I'm not a health-nut, I promise. Don't be fooled and by the full-fat version by accident though. I did that ONCE it had an alarmingly high number of fat grams and calories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's good enough for me! I'll eat sweet potatoes with anything.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We do a recipe that's really similar for quesadillas! Sweet potatoes, black beans, adobo sauce, swiss chard and portabello mushrooms. The first time I tried it, I though it was going to be a disaster, but you're right, there's just something about those flavours that works really well!

    http://www.datesandquinces.com/2010/12/so-you-need-to-detox.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sounds like a good combination.
    I'd be more worried about the beans making it taste bland.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is indeed an interesting recipe! I'm always looking for new ways to dress up tortillas, so I have to give this a try.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your burrito looks yummie and loaded of protein...great meal. Have a great week Lindsay :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. absolutely love this idea. thanks so much for sharing, as we have last year's sweet potato harvest to use up still!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics