February 4, 2011

Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs


One of the things T is constantly asking for is meatballs. As I am always looking for new recipes, I'm reluctant to do repeats, but then I found this recipe for stuffed meatballs. What could be better than a surprise of cheesy goodness inside a meatball? I made these extra large and served them over a bed of fresh pasta and they were devoured. If there were any left, I know that they would reheat well, too.



Mozzarella-Stuffed Meatballs
Serves 5
Printable Recipe

Ingredients

  • 1/4 cup bread crumbs
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 3 cloves garlic, two smashed and one chopped
  • 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes
  • 1 1/2 tsp basil
  • 1 1/2 tsp orgeano
  • 1 pound lean ground meat (I used turkey)
  • 2 tbsp chopped parsley
  • 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan
  • 1 large egg
  • 4 oz mozzarella cheese, cut into 20 1/2 inch cubes
  • salt and pepper
Directions
  • In a medium bowl, soak the bread crumbs in milk
  • In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the smashed garlic and cook until golden, about two minutes. Add the tomatoes, season to taste with basil, oregano and salt and let the sauce simmer over low heat.
  • To the bowl with the breadcrumbs, add the beef, chopped garlic, parsley, parmesan, egg and 1 tsp of salt. Stir until combined. Place about two tbsp of the mixture in your hand and press a mozzarella cube into the centre. Shape the meat around the cheese forming a ball. Repeat with the remaining meat and mozzarella.
  • Stir the sauce and raise the heat to medium-low. Carefully place the meatballs in the sauce, submerging them completely. Bring the sauce to a simmer and cook without stirring for 20 minutes.
  • Once the meatballs are cooked, serve meatballs and sauce over fresh pasta.
Recipe adapted from Rachel Ray Magazine

10 comments:

  1. I can just imagine the taste of those stuffed meatball; what an original recipe. They sure look great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, these look delicious. Perfect comfort food for our winter's enjoyment.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
  3. omg i'm planning to make almost this exact same thing on sunday!! except i'm using ground chicken and calling it a take on chicken parmesan! looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one defintely has my attention. Tell T from me just how lucky he is to have such a creative chef in the house.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! What a nice little surprise to bite into! Excellent recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a perfect family meal. I am sure my men would enjoy them pretty much.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think I know why those meatballs have a very short half-life. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This look delicious, Lindsay. I have a lot of meatball recipes in my family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Lindsay, I wanted to give you the Stylish Blogger Award. Pick it up over at my blog. (if you want)Just want you to how much I like your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Just started following your blog! I can't wait to try these!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Web Analytics