I had never cooked an eggplant before so I turned to trusty http://www.allrecipes.com/ to learn how to make a veggie parmesan. It took longer than I thought, but it tasted pretty good and I think this is a new weeknight dish for us.
Ingredients (makes four servings)
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs (I added dried basil and oregano to mine)
- spaghetti sauce
- mozzerella cheese
- Cut off top and bottom of eggplant and peel (I just used a knife and cut off the peel)
2. Slice your eggplant into rounds (we did about a 1/4 inch, but next time I would probably do a little thicker)
3. Sweat your eggplant for about 15 minutes. I read different feedback about why you do this -- one said it's because there's so much water in eggplant, while another said you do it to release the bitter oils in it. Either way, I did it by pouring salt all over the eggplant. Within minutes, oils start to release and then you rinse it off and pat it dry.
4. Dip each piece of eggplant in egg then in the bread crumbs. Put onto cookie sheet
5. Bake your eggplant for 10 minutes on each side at 350 degrees
6. Pour spaghetti sauce over large pan, then put your eggplant in in a single layer, cover with more sauce and finally with mozzerella cheese
7. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes